Poisoning: she dies after eating mushrooms at a starred restaurant

A 46-year-old woman died a few days after eating morels at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

The stars of the Michelin guide are a guarantee of quality, and yet. A woman died a few days after eating morels in a gourmet restaurant in Valencia, Spain.

The investigation is still ongoing to confirm the exact cause of death: "We must wait for the results of the autopsy before we can determine whether it is the ingestion of these foods that directly caused his death or whether it triggered an underlying condition that led to this fatal outcome, "say the regional health authorities. "With the exception of the deceased, the other sick clients whose husband and the son of the victim had only mild symptoms, mainly vomiting," says one.

Celebrate her husband's birthday

A few days before her death, the 46-year-old woman goes to a starred restaurant to celebrate her husband's birthday. She orders morels, eats them and has diarrhea and vomiting, which will cause her death on February 17, 2019. Another 29 clients were also poisoned, but slightly more.

Deluxe mushroom, morel is toxic when raw or not properly cooked. The authorities also suspect a counterfeit product, which would then have been served involuntarily. The restaurant in question has decided to close its doors while the investigations are clear.

Call 15 or poison control center immediately

Nausea, vomiting, sweating, dizziness or visual disturbances: if these symptoms appear within twelve hours after the consumption of mushrooms, it is a poisoning. Immediately call 15 or a poison control center, as the consequences can be fatal.

ANSES and the DGS also remind the rules to be able to enjoy serenely the picking:

  • Pick up only the mushrooms you know perfectly: some highly poisonous poisonous mushrooms look a lot like edible species;
    • If there is any doubt about the condition or identification of any of the mushrooms harvested, do not consume the crop until you have it checked by a specialist in the field. Pharmacists or mycology associations and societies in your area can be consulted;
    • Pick only the specimens in good condition and collect the whole mushroom (foot and hat), to allow identification;
    • Do not pick mushrooms near polluted sites (roadsides, industrial areas, dumps);
    • Separate the harvested mushrooms by species to avoid the mixing of pieces of poisonous mushrooms with edible mushrooms;
    • Place the mushrooms separately, in a box or cardboard, but never in a plastic bag that accelerates decay;
    • Wash hands thoroughly after harvest;
    • Store the mushrooms separately and in good conditions in the refrigerator and consume them within two days after harvesting;
    • Consume mushrooms in reasonable quantities after sufficient cooking and never consume them raw;
    • Never offer mushrooms picked to young children.

Video: Woman diner dies hours after eating 'poisonous' mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain (January 2020).